Health News Briefing: New twist on a “good” book

© Glow Images
© Glow Images

In this week’s Health News Briefing, which monitors trends in health from a spiritual perspective, Eric Bashor talks about a new twist on a ‘good book’.

Bashor shares news from theguardian newspaper which says, “GP’s to prescribe self-help books for mental health problems. People in England with mild to moderate mental health concerns including panic attacks, anxiety, and depression, are to be prescribed self-help books which they can borrow from their local library.” …”research shows that people who used them over a year had measurably lower levels of depression.”

It’s good news. Prescribing reading self-help books to treat mental health cases, may broaden drug-free health options and encourage a thought-based approach to addressing depression.  Check out the video. Here’s to good health!

The following two tabs change content below.
I'm a Melbourne based health writer who provides a perspective on the connection between spirituality, thought and health. As a keen blogger, my aim is to provide the public with a diversity of health content including research into the mind-body connection and how thought affects health.

Comments

1. Wendy Verhagen says

Where does it mention “Science and Health”?
    What better self-help book could you have?

• says

Thank you for your comment Wendy. I have two favourite self-help books that I can recommend for improving mental health. They are the Scriptures, and Mary Baker Eddy’s book Science and Health. Reading these books regularly has certainly shown me how to be happy and healthy.

2. David says

I can also highly recommend “Science and Health” as a versatile self-help book. I’ve been using it to help successfully maintain my health and well-being for over 50 years.

3. says

Thank you David for your comment. That is a wonderful achievement. It bears out research that shows that people like yourself who have regularly used self-help books – especially ones that are spiritual in content, have “measurably lower levels of depression”, and as you say, are able to maintain good health.

4. Diane F says

I can recommend reading and using the ideas in Science and Health. It has a thought based, mental approach to health and wellness that is effective. It also has a proven record of success.

• says

Thank you Diane for your recommendation. I am glad that you have found this book helpful. I believe that Science and Health has been changing the lives and improving the health of people around the world for over 130 years. That’s got to be some self-help track record!

5. Pauline Rita Noorts says

Yes the spiritual understanding gained from reading The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures has always helped me in my journey to peace, harmony health.
    Many thanks to all Committee on Publication for sharing these blogs,…..Pauline.

• says

Good to hear from you Pauline. Thanks for leaving a comment. It’s great to have two reliable books that provide a wealth of ideas for maintaining good mental and bodily health. May your journey to peace, harmony, and good health continue.