It’s officially Spring! A time when the days warm up, our gardens bloom, new leaves form, and trees burst into blossom. It’s the season when we don those new Spring fashions, try out fresh Spring colours, and generally emerge from our cocoons. Spring is also a good time to throw off what Shakespeare calls the “winter of our discontent”, and engage in some life-invigorating Spring cleaning for the heart and mind. So here’s how to Spring clean now. What’s more, it’s good for your health.
SPRING-CLEAN YOUR HEART
Spring-time is an opportunity to turn over a new leaf. It’s a time to wipe the slate clean – forget past disagreements or faults, and make a fresh start. No one likes to carry around a grudge, or hold on to hard feelings, anger or regret. These negative emotions need to be cleaned out, to free and lighten the heart.
– Get busy. Shake-up your love and caring. “The human heart, like a feather bed, needs often to be stirred, sometimes roughly, and given a variety of turns, else it grows hard and uncomfortable whereon to repose.” Mary Baker Eddy, Miscellaneous Writings. p. 127
– Dust-off friendships. Wipe away hurtful memories or angry words. Reach out in a spirit of forgiveness.
– Be loving to yourself. Don’t blame or needlessly criticise yourself. Be gentle.
– Love more. Keep on loving. Hug your kids. Count your blessings. Give thanks.
SPRING-CLEAN YOUR MIND
Spring cleaning isn’t just about tidying, sorting or decluttering your house. It’s also about taking stock of who you are and how you see others. It’s a time to clean out the negative thinking of the past and prepare for a happier, healthier future.
– Open the windows of your mind and let in fresh, improved thoughts about yourself and others.
– Clean the window pane of thought. Remove any specks of criticism or irritation.
– Throw out negative self-talk and self-doubt. Dump unhealthy thoughts and fears in the bin.
– Air out your hopes and aspirations. Throw open the windows of your mind and let the fresh breeze of new ideas come in.
– Let the sunshine of happy thoughts light up and fill the corners of your mind.
– Get going! Spring clean now. It’s good for your health.
Also published in the September edition of Around Point Cook community newspaper in print and online via Issuu.