The lion has often been used as a symbol of courage. Yet courage comes in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes it’s having the courage to live in a new country, to start a new relationship, activity, school or job, to stand up for what is right, or even to get out of bed and face each day. To have courage that’s good for your health, is to have that inner quality of mind or spirit, that enables you to meet difficulties head-on and triumph over them – even when fear says you can’t do it. So what exactly is courage, and how do you know if you have it?
BE AN “I HAVE COURAGE” PERSON
It’s no secret that we all have courage. This naturally stimulating mental power resides in thought – ready to be activated. It’s a mental capacity that can be drawn on right in the middle of a difficult situation. As an “I have courage” person, you have a reservoir of inner resilience which is made up of the qualities of strength, boldness and determination. Although intangible, courage has a spiritual basis which enables even the most timid person to take positive action. Anyone can be bold when needed. They can move ahead despite extreme moments of doubt and fear.
Years ago, Melbourne’s Brunswick public swimming baths had a 10 metre high diving platform. One day I climbed the small, metal ladder to the top, walked over to the edge and looked down. It was a massive drop. Suddenly I was paralysed with fear. Too terrified to climb backwards down the ladder, and too scared to jump, I stood immobilized. No one came to help me. Eventually I realized I had to have courage – to be brave, strong and fearless. It was already in me to be an “I have courage” person. I could be bold – courageous even, and take the plunge. Heartened by those thoughts, I leapt into the pool below.
– Be strong in daunting situations. You have strength of mind. You can face life’s challenges with true grit and steely determination.
– Be reassured and fortified. Have hope, faith and belief that you can accomplish something good.
– Be lion-hearted. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. – Mary Anne Radmacher
– Be bold. You haven’t been given the spirit of fear. You have power, love and a sound mind – the ability to be courageous in times of trouble. The Bible – 2 Timothy 1:7
– Stand tall. You’re not alone. You have a divine Love always at hand to help, guide, empower and strengthen you. So, have courage. It’s good for your health.