At this time of year, enjoying the delights of Winter is all about cosy fires, warm hats, snuggling up in bed at night and keeping warm. While staying ‘toasty’ is the name-of-the-game, spiralling energy costs do make you think twice before firing up the heater. So in addition to the usual suggestions, here are some warm-as-toast ways that don’t break the bank.
Keep up social interaction.
Going into hibernation mode during winter months isn’t good for your mental or physical state. It can lead to feelings of social exclusion, which makes you feel colder say University researchers.
– Get out and about. It’ll help keep the cold at bay and boost your mood.
– Spend time with people. Interact with others.
– “Turn up” your warmth factor.
Fill your thoughts with sunshine.
Many people go to work and return home in darkness. Less hours of daylight and lower temperatures can lead to what experts call ‘‘winter depression’’. However, you can beat gloomy, wintery-type thoughts. Whenever you feel trapped by the winter blues , let the sunshine of cheerfulness free you from melancholy emotions. Sunny, cheery thinking doesn’t rely on blue skies. You can activate warm and happy thoughts all year round.
– Don’t’ stay trapped in the dark. “Let the sunshine in”.
– Let the rays of heart-warming, positive, health-giving thoughts glow in your thinking. Bathe your mind in their heat-generating light.
– Mentally free yourself – like the small bird that was mistakenly shut inside a linen cupboard. Although in the dark, the bird sang. It was heard and was set free.
Expect to be well.
Nothing gives you the shivers more than thinking that you might become ill. That’s why when cold weather arrives, so too can the fear of sickness. One way to antidote this fear, is to warm up your thinking with health-sustaining ideas . According to the Mayo Foundation, benefits from the effects of positive thinking and optimism on health may include, “Increased life span, lower rates of depression, lower levels of distress, greater resistance to the common cold.”
– Think about enacting a mental wellness-plan to keep your thinking healthy and warm-as-toast during Wintertime.
– Don’t anticipate illness during colder months. Be confident of maintaining good health.
– Keep the fear of seasonal sickness out of thought. “When the condition is present which you say induces disease, whether it be air, exercise, heredity, contagion, or accident, then perform your office as porter and shut out these unhealthy thoughts and fears.” Science and Health, p.392, Mary Baker Eddy.
Kindle an inner glow.
Keeping mentally warm starts from the inside. Translated, this means that any spark of warmth should be ignited by the heart, as well as the mind.
– Melt any icy stares or cold thoughts toward someone else.
– Radiate goodness through acts of kindness.
– Fan heartfelt feelings for others, until they warm the cockles of your heart.
– Be friendly. Be neighbourly. Such expressions of humanity can not only help keep you warm in Winter, they can help others feel as warm-as-toast too.
I’m a professional Christian Science Practitioner and Teacher. Through my prayer-based practice, I help people find happiness, health and healing. As a writer on the connection between spirituality and health I share inspiring can-do tips and ideas.